Monday, August 3, 2009

The Sky and Views of the Sea






Woohoo! The weather the last few days has made for some conversation! It has been everything from calm, humid, windy, rainy, dark, sunny and everything in between! I love this stuff! I could sit on the veranda and watch the clouds roll by all day, (I think that's what Steve thinks I do, do all day!). I am most fortunate to have water views from every vista, this morning the lagoon and sea were dead calm, sheets of glass! Heading out the door, I had the usual: coffee, keys, camera (!), doggy doo bags and bug spray. Juggling this, the dogs and I bound down the steps to unlock the gates and out to the beach. (They're so cute, Pippi and Tobykeith run along side each other almost attached at the hips; Pickle tries to keep up!) I join the anxious group to venture to the end of the dock to see what's going on up close.

The science lab is full of fish this morning; the local fishermen are out as well as the new tourists from next door. The locals know to be out further in a boat, the tourists look frustrated, I know it's too clear right now, the fish can see for miles, they're all under the docks or out in the rocks and reef. The locals in their boats are reeling them in, the tourists roam the beach in frustration! The dogs take up their posts to chase every bird, big and small away from their dock. I cannot keep my eyes off the skies! It's spectacular! The lightning, thunder and clouds are wonderful. I head back to the house only because the dogs know my coffee is gone and now the bugs are really becoming a nuisance.

Inside, doggy treats all around, refill of coffee, a check to the internet weather websites my friends have turned me on to and now settled in to watch how the day plays out. Scuba Steve asks for my opinion of the weather, I give it, (not in the Tommy Skilling professional manner, I do not have his technical training and admitting, am still trying to figure this place out!) Off Scuba Steve goes to work in his boat. I go about my morning chores and will decide as the morning goes on, to alter my tasks or plow ahead. I will more than likely, take the big Bertha Polaris golf cart, (it has a wind shield and cloth top; you still get soaked, but at least flying objects are deflected), and deal with the noise, the parking and the stalling, this monster truck does at every intersection. Not to mention the things I run over and back into making normal turns! (OMG! Ask Christine, yesterday, I took off the fence post to a gate! It WAS lovely, had pretty flowers growing on it too! We put it back to the best of our abilities! No one was around and you do not leave "notes" here when you plow into something like in the states; one nice thing, for me!)

Okay, typical Belize weather; wait 5 minutes, it will change! And, indeed, it has. Still grey, breezy and that pending nasty storm has blown south and west toward Guatemala. Being the novice weathergirl, I will more than likely be completely wrong and find myself later in the storm of the year; or not! I cannot figure this out! All I know for certain, it is humid, hot and hurricane season. I need to do some errands and restock the pantry and water supply. As soon as boy wonder awakes, off we will go, of course, after his 5 course breakfast, and hope for the best!

To the "Weather Channel"! :) D

No comments:

Post a Comment