Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tropical Wave






We have a "tropical wave" approaching the area.  I enjoy the changes in weather; they are not what this ex-Chicago housewife is used to!  Changes in weather up north are not subtle;  the trees lose their leaves in the fall.  Rain, ice and snow means winter. Trees regain their leaves in the spring and it is horribly hot and humid in the summer.  In Belize, it's hot, breezy and sunny most everyday!  In fact, I have trouble keeping track of the days, weeks and months.  They are so similar and unchanging, I remember the days, weeks and month, by when guests visit or  when I go back to the states!  Belize is hotter in the summer months and unfortunately, more humid, (this is Central America and rain forests are near by).   In the winter months, we do wear long sleeves, at night.  It remains in the 80's most everyday, cold for us is 60 degrees!  (And trust me, the residents are wearing  jackets, hats and gloves!)
So, back to the, "tropical wave".  Exciting and potentially scary; I explained it like this to Steve when he called,  "If we had "Tarboggin", a sailboat we owned years ago on Lake Michigan, "we could have sailed to Caye Caulker and back a couple times this morning!"  "Wow," says he, "that's great!"  Yes, it is.  I have turned the air conditioning off, the windows are open, no bugs biting me to bits and it is even breezy inside!  The dogs are enjoying this break too!  
The first time I heard the weather term "tropical wave," was from one of my dear neighbors.  A group of us were meeting up for lunch.  She cancelled the day before, due to the approaching "tropical wave".  Perplexed, I did not understand.  I thought "tropical wave" sounded "nice"!  A sort-of parade wave or winds that took the bugs away and nothing more.  Now, I have learned, "tropical wave" means; rain, potential tropical storm development, and possibly, a hurricane.  More than likely, they come and move out of the area, bringing the rain, the wind and some change to the weather.  Looking outside now, it's hard to imagine this "wave" could bring anything nasty!  The sky is brilliant blue, the seas are choppy but the reef prevents the waves from getting too large, the sun is shining and this wind is so refreshing, I am savoring this moment!
For the next couple days, I will keep the National Hurricane and Tropical Underground websites minimized, as well as my own eyes to the sea and sky.  Dock time today?  You betcha!  (God I dislike that bimbo!  LOL!)  Anyway, enjoy your day and stay safe!  d :)

No comments:

Post a Comment