Saturday, June 27, 2009

Doctors


We spent the day and night off the island in Belize City yesterday.  Our son, Colin had a wisdom tooth pulled last week and needed the stitches out and to make good use of the time and money it takes to get there, I also scheduled his yearly cardiology appointment.  Stitches are out and his heart is healthier than ever!  Five years ago, Colin was diagnosed with a coarctation in his aorta!  He had his procedure immediately following the diagnosis and has had no complications since,  but we follow up with a cardiologist and exam yearly.  What a pleasant surprise this experience was here in Belize!

In the states, these exact same tests and appointments take weeks to be scheduled and are thousands of dollars.  Not to mention, the ton of insurance paper work that follows such a visit!  Here, a week ago I called and received an appointment.  We arrived at the hospital early, anticipating the paper work I would need to fill out.  One sheet of paper work!  Actually, one half sheet!  The doctor saw us promptly, read over my letters and notes from our doctor in the states and then began the examination.  The doctor followed our notes to the "t".  And, did all the tests and exams himself!  Everything!  From the weigh-in to the echocardiogram!  Then, not only did he sit and discuss all of his observations, but also handed us a cd-r of the tests for our records at no extra charge!

The check out with the cashier was even more pleasant and simple.  A detailed receipt, description of services and a very fair charge for the doctor's services!  Maybe, too fair!  I am just not used to how simple some things can be!  I wonder what the price would have been if I had insurance?  I wonder what a Belizean would have paid for the exact same service.  This doctor was as pleasant as any doctor I have ever encountered and he spoke to our son like a young adult, carefully explaining everything he was doing and patiently answered all his questions at length.  The doctor described his job here versus what we are used to in the states.  He said,  "here, I throw and catch the same ball when I play!"   Or, he does it all.

I am not sure I would have a serious operation done here in Belize, but so far, the medical services we have had, have been done with all the attention to details you could ever expect and I have yet to ever feel rushed or feel spoken "down" to.  All of our questions and concerns have been answered completely.  Doctors here make house calls, give you their cell phone numbers and call you at home themselves to check in!  They also can dispense the medications they prescribe from their own offices, saving the patient time, travel and money.

Life here is different.  It is simpler and so much better than I ever expected.  I still get frustrated with other aspects of this life here, but next time I do, I will remind myself of this trip into Belize City with my son to see his doctors.

No comments:

Post a Comment